Thursday 29 August 2013

Klaar! Die Mezzaluna / Crescent Moon / Sekelmaanserp

Uiteindelik, uiteindelik...'n sekelmaanserp...en laat ek dadelik sê: dit is eintlik nié moeilik nie. Dit IS NIE...dis net die patroon wat eintlik omslagtig is.  En as jy die patroon gekliek het, is dit happy sailing van daar.

At last, at last...the Crescent Moon/Mezzaluna wrap...and let me say immediately that it is NOT difficult.  It isn't...it's just the patterns that are a bit cumbersome. And once you figured that out, it's plain sailing from there. 




Ek het so 'n serp 'n jaar of wat gelede op 'n blog gesien, dit nooit gemerk nie, en nooit weer gekry nie.  Google het my tot by die Crescent Moon en Mezzaluna-serpe op Ravelry gebring, en Google Image later tot by 'n diagram (wat toe uit 'n Japannese boek bly te kom).  

Die patrone lees moeilik, moéilik, want dit probeer baie verduidelik.  Ek het op 'n stadium met drie variasies voor my gesit: die gewone, 'n verkorte, en 'n van-onder-af.   Dis op daardie stadium dat ek begin soek vir duideliker fotos en so die diagram gekry het, wat dinge baie makliker maak....maar selfs daarmee het ek nog 'n shorthand vir myself neergeskryf én ingekleur om by te hou met waar ek is!

My eerste poging was Desember, op vakansie, met alpaca.
Nie 'n goeie idee vir die eerste keer nie, alpaca wil nie uitgetrek word nie.  Tussen het ek met twee ander wolle begin, en uiteindelik besluit om te gaan vir maklik en te werk met Elle Pure Gold.


I first saw a similar wrap  in Blogland a year or so ago, but didn't mark it and could never get back to it.  Google found me the Crescent Moon and Mezzaluna wraps on Ravelry and Google Image later got me to a diagram (that turned out to come from a Japannese book).

The pattern reads difficult, because it tries to explain how lot.  At one stage, I was sitting with three variations in front of me: the full-length, a shortened, and a from-the-bottom-up.  It was then that I searched for clearer photos and and found a diagram via Google Image, which made things a lot easier.  Even so, I created my own shorthand code and coloured it in, as I completed each row.  

I tried it in alpaca first, during the December holiday.  Not a good idea...alpaca doesn't like being frogged.  After that I tried two other yarns, and then settled for Elle Pure Gold, that I knew would work easy

En om een ander rede wou ek verskillende kleure strepe hê...nee, jete, volgende keer gebruik ek variegated wol.
For some orn other reason, I decided on different coloured stripes...no, goodness, next time I'll variegated yarn!



Dis makliker om kop te hou as die rye ingekleur is...
It's easier to keep your wits together with coloured-in rows...




Merk die bobbels in rooi, en begin met shorthand...
I marked the bobble stitches in red, and developed a shorthand code...




En dan begin die sekelmaan vorm kry!
And then the crescent took form!




Met die nodige ondersteuning kom dit klaar.
With the necessary reinforcements, it grew.




En dan! Uiteindelik, rafels word weggewerk.
And then! Working away the ends.




En die randjie word begin (ja, ek eet of drink heeltyd iets terwyl ek hekel...)
Starting the edge (yes...I usually have something to drink or eat while hooking...)




Yeeha!  Dit gaan tog werk (ek het eers nie baie van die randjie gehou nie).
Oh joy! It's going to work out! (At first I didn't really like the edge).




By Craft Share is ek amper klaar...
Almost finished at Craft Share, just a short bit to go.


Photo: Cornel Strydom @ Craft Share
www.ilovepom-poms.squarespace.com


En..voila.  Klaar.  En toe hou ek nie van die kleure nie...maar 'n vriendin is mal daaroor, so sy gaan dit kry :-)
Poeierblou Lollipop Lambslook reeds aan die haak vir Mezzaluna V.2.

And...voila.  Done.  And  then I didn't like some of the colours...but a friend does, so she's going to get it :-)
Powder blue Lollipop Lambslook already on the hooks for Mezzaluna V.2.


NS -  Ek wou dit breër hê, dus werk ek nou met 'n nr 5 pen, en maak sommige rye tr i.p.v. dc.
En V2.1 - dalk eers volgende jaar - sal gedoen word met One of a Kind Yarns se Marbled of Variegated DK...

PS - I wanted it a bit wider, so now I'm hooking with a nr 5, and use a TR instead of DC in some rows.
And V2.1 - maybe only next year - will be hooked with One of a Kind Yarns' s Marbled or Variegated DK...

NNS - Ek het die patroon in Afrikaans oorgeskryf, maar siende dat die transkripsie op Ravelry nie regtig wettig is nie, en dieselfde met die diagram wat op internet rondswerf,  en ek nou al laaaaaaaank probeer om op Mayumi Kawaii se spoor te kom vir toestemming , kan ek dit nog nie plaas nie..

PPS - I have translated this pattern in Afrikaans, and tried to simplify the writing, but since the version on Ravelry is not really this side of legal, same with the scanned diagram on internet, and I'm still chasing after Mayumi Kawaii for permission, I will not yet post it.  




NNNS - Sy hou daarvan :-)
PPPS - She likes it :-)

16 comments:

homemade@myplace said...

you are such a clever girl!!!! I really enjoyed to read about all the process behind your work!!!! Lucky friend of yours!!!!!
Enjoy crocheting the new one!!!
xxxxx Ale

Hilda Steyn said...

It's beautiful. I am sure your friend is happy! Can't wait to see the next one! Lovely photo of you by the way.

Just-Do said...

Hij is prachtig! Unlike you I really like all the colours.

Haafner said...

WOW, Stel! It's absolutely gorgeous, well done! I think I will be adding this pattern to my to do list...

Oh, and Cornel's picture of you is really, really sweet, love it. Wish I could join the craft share some time. If only South Africa was 'round the corner, ha!

Have a lovely day, xHaafner

Rajeswari said...

Such a colorful wrap Stel! I loved the colors and i am sure it would go great on jeans with anything on top! Clever of you to use colors and make the pattern much easier :)

Stel said...

Only about an 11hr light between Schiphol and OR Tambo, Haafner, and then a 45 min drive...you'll be in time, we start at 09h00 ... :-)

Stel said...

The different-coloured rows definitely helped.

Rosangela said...

Ficou lindo.
Parabéns.

Annette - MyRoseValley said...

Cute story. I like how you tell the story form beginning until the end... I seldom finish things. I start. Multiple projects... But I am terrible at finishing... Hmmm. About the Tilda yarn v. Stylecraft. STylecraft is 100 acrylic and DK weight, I guess worked on a hook 4 mm (???). Tilda is a cotton/acrylic blend 50/50, very soft and fresh. Still a DK weight but a light version on the edge to a Sport weight. I prefer working it on a hook 3 mm. Stylecraft is very affordable (read cheap and cheerful :D!), Tilda is a bit costy (4.90 USD a ball) compaired to Stylecraft but of very high quality. The Swedish bestseller. It works fantastic with my Maybelle squares, heavier doilies, children items, smooth cowls and scarfs, probably ripples and super nice for baby blankets. It will be fab for amiguramis or whatever they are called. I find cotton tough to work with but because of the mix in this yarn it is more flexible and therefor easier to handle. Me personally are not a great fan of acrylic. I have tons of it at home but hardly ever use it as the things I have used it for now are starting to pill and looking a bit nasty. Tilda stays true to what you make. You wash it and the shape and texture stays as well as colors. So, I think you are a Stylecraft lady though. You like working on a larger hook. I have asked the manufacturer if they have ever thought of making a heavier version of Tilda and maybe they will do a trial release of it next spring. I am looking forward to that.

If you want to I can send you a sample in an envelope. Just email me your address to myrosevalley@bluewin.ch. I would be delighted to send you a sample.

Like this pattern of this shawl. What's wrong with the colors? I think it is fabulous - just the way it is. Looking forward to version 2.
All the best
Annette

Haafner said...

Hahahaha!

Stel said...

Thank, Annette! Will inbox.

The colours - I shouldn't have added the light green - too light compared to the rest...

greenthumb said...

You have done a great job it looks great, I have no hope of doing anything like that.

Bren said...

Stel, this is one of the most beautiful shawls I've ever seen. Well done for seeing it through! Bxx

Kate said...

Oh my gosh it's GORGEOUS!!!!
And I love the colours.
What a stunning piece to have in your wardrobe.
I look forward to seeing the one you are going to keep. x

Pami said...

lovely! i love the colours!
pami

Unknown said...

Muito lindo!!Amei!! <3