Thursday 14 February 2013

A Project Abandoned

It seemed like a good idea, and it was.
But it's out of my mind now, off the list, scrapped.
Not going to be done any more.

Remember these old wire garden sets? It got quite popular again the last couple of years, but you had to hunt them down, and if you could find it hope for a good price.

Dit was 'n goeie idee, maar dis nou uit my kop, van my lysie af, ek gaan dit nie meer doen nie.

Onthou hierdie ou tuinstelle?
Dis weer gewild die laaste paar jaar, maar jy moes soek om dit in die hande te kry, wat nog van 'n goeie prys.

Out in my backyard

I watched my local favourite secondhand shop, Bellbottoms, like a hawk.  Missed the first two sets - they were claimed within hours of being carried to the sidewalk.  So when I saw the third, I literally cut through traffic, drove right over the sidewalk and proclaimed it MINE as owner Didi just laughed.


We had it for a couple of years now, and it went through some colourful phases - my boys love spray paint and I let then "re-decorate" it now and then.  Last year, we went back to simple white.



The Grand Plan then was to crochet 4 retro-style cushions with a red gingham backing to use outside.  My sis sent me a whole pack of Stylecraft Special DK to use, and off I went, starting out with a giant square.



And then I didn't do anything more.

For months I had only this one cushion. 

Ek het Bellbottoms met 'n valk-oog dopgehou in die verbyry, maar jy moet vinnig wees.  Het twee stelle gemis, maar toe hul die derde uitdra, is ek deur die verkeer, oor die sypaadjie om my kleim af te steek.

Die stel is nou al 'n jaar of drie hier by ons, en was al verskeie kleure van die reƫnboog. Nou met die wit, was my Slim Plan om 4 kussings te hekel, so bont as kan kom, met rooi gingham, aan die agterkant. My sisi stuur 'n pak Stylecraft uit Ierland, en ek val weg, haak gou vinnig 'n groot granny square.

En toe doen ek niks verder nie.

Leef vir maande met die een granny.

A lonesome Giant Granny

I just couldn't get on with nr 2.

I started with a mixture off small squares of 3 rounds.

Then I started again, with larger squares of 4  rounds.

Then I started again, with Summer Garden Squares.

Then I replaced the too-light mint green with a darker green.

And this morning I decided I could just as well use my pile of scatter cushions outside, and calm down the family room.

Ek kon net nie aan die gang kom met nr 2 nie. Eers klein blokkies van drie rondtes probeer.  Toe groter blokkies van vier rondtes. Toe Summer Garden Squares.  Toe trek ek die ligte mintgroen uit en vervang met 'n mooier groen.

En vanoggend besluit ek om die hope kussings wat die wereld vol le in die familiekamer sommer buite ook te gebruik. 

Viva Mzansi

Yeay for Mr Price Home!

Yes, it works

Going to use the Stylecraft for something else on my Long Long List.

Sal die Stylecraft eerder vir iets anders op my Lang Lang Lys gebruik.

(Have you ever abandoned a project that you really wanted to do?)
(It feels like I should feel very guilty but I Will Not).



5 comments:

Marieke said...

I know how you feel... some projects sounds so good at the start and then, a couple of months later, you think 'what was I thinking', or it's just not coming along the way you've planned it. About a year ago I started working on a crochet blanket for my youngest daughter, thinking I'd easily make three, one for each of my girls... the first is halve way finished and I'm determined to finish it this year but I just can't get myself to do so.... argh! Bye, Marieke

Annette - MyRoseValley said...

Hello dear Stel
Heard about the shooting on CNN News this morning. It is terrible. I live in such denial. i never read or watch news, but my husband does. Every day. He keeps me updated on BIG things and this morning he gave me a shout about this athlete's gun "accident". I don't know the story in full but I agree, this was probably not the kind of Valentines day you wished for...

Talking crafts - which is so much more joyful - WHY? Don't give up. Why not just make repeats of your first granny square. I love it!!! It looks perfectly right for those chairs. And btw, love that wire garden set. It is great!!! Get rid of the pressure. just start a new square with the foal to finish ONE square, then you add another square and another... I think it would look really fab in the end and you will feel very proud.
Annette

karisma said...

Well the chairs look great anyway but of course I prefer the granny square one. Who doesn't love a granny square?

Bren said...

Haha - dit klink so bekend! Ek love ook daai stoele. Het darem al 3 raakgeloop. Kan net nie gelukkig genoeg raak met 'n tafel nie. Anyway, hekel is veronderstel om fun te wees, nie 'n straf nie. G'n mens hoort verplig te voel om iets klaar te maak as jou hart nie daarin is nie.

Gerlene said...

I thought Annette would like it because it is her kind of colours. Jou African kussings lyk mooi buite, sussie. Los dit net so. Hekel ander dinge met jou Stylecraft.